Monday, April 14, 2014

A Blast From My Past [Mini-Map Monday]

I've got something a little different this week. While looking through some old, old folders (trying find fodder to use with a DCC game) I cam across some old game world maps. I thought I'd share.
If memory serves, this map was one of the last ones I made for AD&D Second Edition, back in the mid-late 90s when I was 20-something. I think the world was named "Questor."

One thing that stands out to me is how many places have nonsense blah-da-blah names--not "real" enough sounding to properly imitate Tolkein, not crazy enough sounding to properly imitate Moorcock. It's something I try to avoid nowadays.

pencil on 9x12 drawing paper. 
Let's see what I can remember about some of these places.

Churd - A volcanic island full of dinosaurs
Pim and Tor - Fake Greece
Amoz Rainforest - Where amazons live (clever)
Necros - Fake Ravenloft
Al-Akbar - Fake Arabia
Chao-Ra - Fake Egypt.
Rolaña - Fake Spain
Aelfhome - Where elves live
Icerealm - Generic noridc wilderness
Dwarf Peak Mountains - Where dwarves live (extra clever)
Orckrag - Where Gruumsh cast down his spear and let orcs into the world (the orcish creation myth from the Monsters' Mythology book)
Palamadox - a chaotic nation of violent warlords where everyone dresses like Mad Max extras.

Man, I'd like to think I've gotten better at world creation since then. That Palamadox showed promise, though.

2 comments: