My upcoming Lamentations of the Flame Princess game will take place in 17th century Central Europe. The PCs will have plenty of opportunities to treavel, so that means I need to put together a random encounters table. Like all good encounter tables, I wanted to make sure the entries helped express the atmosphere and theme of the game world. In this case, it's bleak semi-apocalypse with war, disease, and witchcraft.
When I use this table, I'll probably cross out each encounter after it procs. Even with a d30 list, I don't want to have too many repeat encounters. Gotta' keep it fresh!
These encounters were written with LotFP in mind, but it should work well enough for aby other old-style D&D game.
Download from Google Docs or read below!
Bleak Europe Random Encounters
Check for encounters twice per day while travelling across war-torn Central Europe.
An encounter happens on a roll of a 1 on 1d6.
Roll 1d30 to find out what the PCs have discovered.
1) Pilgrims travelling to an ancient shrine
- 6d6 0-level pilgrims.
- 15% chance of being led by level 1d3 cleric.
- 2d6 0-level fighters
- 2nd level fighter leader
3) Soldiers travelling to join up with their main force.
- 1d6 x 50 0-level fighters lead by 3rd level fighter (captain), plus 1st level fighter per 50 soldiers (sergeants)
- Roll 1d4
- 1: German
- 2: Swedish
- 3: Danish
- 4: French
4) 2d4 lepers run out of the closest town.
- 0-levels. Save vs. poison each hour of contact to avoid catching leprosy.
5) 1d6 peasants (0-level) digging a mass grave
- Attracts 1d4+1 ghouls at night.
- Ghouls: HD: 2; AC: 14; Rasping tongue +2 (1d6, save vs paralysis or lose Dex equal to damage); Morale: 9
6) Witch Hunter
- 50/50 chance of either catholic or protestant
- Roll 1d4
- 1: Fighter level 1-4
- 2: Cleric level 1-4
- 3: Specialist level 1-6
- 4: 0-level
- Accompanied by 2d4 0-level assistants and guards
7) Ruined Village
- 75% chance of 1d3 rag pickers
- 25% chance of 1d4 ghouls
8) Travelling merchant with wagon and pack animals
- 1d3+1 guards (Fighter 1)
- Selling (roll 1d6):
- 1-4: general goods
- 5: luxury goods
- 6: weapons and armor
- 1d6 x 100sp in cash
9) Travelling performers
- 4d4 actors, musicians, and acrobats
- 20% of Magic User level 1-4
10) Hungry Wolves!
- 2d6 wolves (2 HD; AC: 12; Bite +2 (1d6); Morale 7)
11) Large tree full of 3d30 corpses hanging from nooses.
- 25% chance of attracting 3d6 ghouls at night
- 20% chance of being haunted by marco-spectre
- Macro-Spectre: HD: number of bodies/3, HP: number of bodies; AC: 12; Ectoplasmic torrent +HD to hit (1d12 damage, save or lose 1 from all attributes); Only hurt by magic, silver, or cold iron; Morale: 12
- 2d6 pre-adolescent children. Lost, frightened, and hungry.
13) 3d6 prisoners of war, crucified along the road.
- Very much dead.
14) Battlefield littered with the recently dead.
- 1d6 rag pickers
- 15% chance of attracting 2d6 ghouls
- 1-in-8 chance each turn of finding something interesting among the dead soldiers.
15) 1d6x10 refugees. 0-level
- Cold, hungry, and desperate.
16) Ancient cemetery
- 25% chance of containing passage to Ghoul Market
- 20% chance of buried valuable grave goods (2d6x50sp value)
17) Magic User (level 1d6), travelling to visit an associate.
- Accompanied by bonded and disguised demon with HD equal to MU’s level.
18) Dead horse lies bloated in the middle of the road.
- Stomach will erupt with 2d6 deadly snakes (1 HD; AC 12; Bite +1 (1 damage, save or loose 3d6 CON); Morale 7).
19) Dead man hangs from a tree.
- His crime is branded onto his chest (roll 1d6).
- 1: Rape
- 2: Murder
- 3: Horse theft
- 4: Desertion
- 5: Heresy
- 6: Witchcraft
20) Farm with 1d6+1 family members (0 levels)
- Roll 1d6 for disposition
- 1: Friendly but boastful
- 2: Suspicious and surly
- 3: Fearful and violent
- 4: Superstitious but generous
- 5: Pious but mournful
- 6: Cannibals
21) Band of 1d4+2 deserters. (1st level fighters, morale 5)
- Swords and pole arms, guns but no ammo. Frightened, but not looking for a fight.
22) Bear, maddened by sickness
- HD 5; AC 14; Claw/claw/bite +5 (1d4/1d4/1d6); save vs poison or contract rabies; Morale 10
23) 3 plague doctors (2nd level specialists) travelling to infested village.
- Carry 3d4 bottles of medicine. (15% chance of actually being functional healing potions, 2d4 hp)
24) Man (0-level) pulling a wagonload of corpses
- What's he up to? (Roll 1d6)
- 1-4: Taking the corpses to a nearby mass grave
- 5-6: Taking corpses to sell to a necromancer he knows (level 1d6+3 Magic User)
25) Traveling noble, off to visit a relation in a nearby city
- Level 0 noble, guarded by 1d6+2 2nd level fighters.
- 2d6x100sp in cash, gifts, and jewelry.
26) Hermit, washing his clothes in a nearby stream.
- Level 1-4 cleric. Hair shirt, staff, pet goat, hallucinogenic mushrooms.
27) Eloping Couple
- Young 0-level minor nobles from rival families.
- Horse, 2d6x20sp in cash and jewelry. Bad instincts and no survival skills.
- Perused by bounty hunter (level 5 specialist, 2-6 chance each night of catching up to them).
- Families have each issued a 500sp bounty for their child’s safe return.
28) Old, abandoned windmill
- Decent shelter.
- 20% chance of being used by 1d4 witches (level 1d4 magic users) to grind children’s bones into meal.
29) Vampire, traveling to new lair.
- 1d6 0-level minions. Horses and wagon with coffin full of grave dirt. Deed to ancient building.
- Vampire: HD: 8; AC: 16; Claw/Claw +8 (1d6, if both claws hit the vampire bites and drains blood for 1d4 CON per round); Only hurt by magic, silver, or fire; Charm Person at will; Vampire powers; Morale: 10
30) Apocalypse Angel, visible a mile away, harvesting souls from (roll 1d4):
- 1: Plague-ridden village
- 2: Famine-ruined farms
- 3: Bloody battlefield
- 4: Mass-suicide
- Apocalypse Angel: HD: 12; AC: 18; Sword of Ruination +12 (4d6, 2 attacks per round); Ashen Gaze (save or disintegrate); Morale 12