Thursday, September 10, 2026

So What Had Happened Was...

Well into my middle-age, I finally got a real grownup job.

While I am aware of my privilege in this dying world, and I should really be more thankful that I don't need to worry about paying my rent, etc… The truth of the matter is, it really stymied my creative output.

All through my youth, I heard people older than me say things like “I'm just too busy with work, I don't have time for this hobby I enjoy.”

And I was like “What are you talking about, old man? You ain’t working 24 hours a day! You're telling me you can't spare a couple hours each week?”

But, man, I get it now.

…The world being on fire and the constant threat of encroaching techno-fascism doesn't help either, but I digress.

But after the past few years, I am now in the process of trying to restructure and reprioritize chunks of my life. Give some things proper focus and move past some needless distractions. Work through the burnout.

I mean, that’s the theory at least.

Where Things Are and What They Are

Currently I'm wrapping up layout on “Vault of Villainy” an antagonist supplement for Million Colored Sun, the Sword & Sorcery RPG Leighton, Steve and I put out a couple years ago and I never talked about here. (I am terrible at self promotion).

I also need to set up Disposable Future for print on demand. Disposable Future is my Into the Odd cyberpunk hack, that I also never talked about here. (God, I need a publicist).

Those are the immediate projects.

In development, I am currently working on two main things:

  • A noblebright hack of Mork Borg (working title Nice Borg) inspired by She-Ra, Dragon Quest, and other fantasy stories where nice people do good things for other nice people.
  • Dracula Crawl Classics, a “spooky heroic” DCC setting inspired by old Universal, Hammer, and Corman monster movies. Several of my peers have been excited for it.

I’m also restructuring and relaunching my ill-used Patreon. It may end up being my primary platform. We’ll see.

My ultimate goal is to get myself back to a position where I can start doing art commissions again.

As for previous things I was working on… Gorgon Crawl Classics is on indefinite hiatus. I will get back to it eventually. I'm still happy with the work I posted here, and I am flattered that people still occasionally ask about it, but I want to focus elsewhere before my lack of object permanence kicks me once more.

Wyrdwood is pretty much abandoned, because frankly Dolmenwood already does what I wanted to do and does a damn fine job of it. I'll recycle ideas elsewhere.

So is the blog back? Heck, man, I dunno. It felt weird to suddenly start posting again without some minor accounting of the past few years. Hopefully. I can maintain a steady momentum.

In the meantime, here's a picture of an attractive wizard lady (for engagement).




No comments:

Post a Comment